Direct From Midrex Newsletter Archive
Direct From Midrex is saved as a PDF for easy viewing, printing and saving to your computer. Click here to download your free Adobe Acrobat Reader software to view PDF files on all major computer platforms.
1Q 2018 Direct From Midrex
In this issue:
· Defining and Redefining DRI
· HBI: Steel's Most Versatile Metallic
· International Project Financing: Building DRI Plants through Midrex UK
· Kobe Steel Names New PresidentDownload
4Q 2017 Direct From Midrex
In this issue:
· "Thanks for the Memories" by Jim McClaskey
· The Career and Accomplishments of Jim McClaskey
· DRI and its Effects on the Scrap Metal Market in the U.S.
· LGOK HBI-3 named Most Important Event of Russian Steel Market in 2017Download
3Q 2017 Direct From Midrex
In this issue:
· Building on Core Technology - Creating Flexibility and Value
· Inceasing Carbon Flexibility in MIDREX® DRI Products
· Cleveland-Cliffs Announces Plans for Great Lakes HBI Plant
· Metalloinvest Launches Russia's Largest HBI PlantDownload
2Q 2017 Direct From Midrex
In this issue:
· A Deeper look at the DRI Industry in 2016
· Impact of HBI Use in Integrated Steel Plants: Environmental Impact & OPEX Comparison
· MIDREX® Direct Reduction Plants: 2016 Operations Summary
· News & Views: voestalpine Texas passes Performance Guarantee TestDownload
1Q 2017 Direct From Midrex
In this issue:
· Julius Caeser had Nothing on Robert Hunter
· SULB Operational Flexibility Provided by Midrex
· Advancing the Performance of Nu-Iron's MIDREX® DRI PlantDownload
4Q 2016 Direct From Midrex
In this Issue:
· COMMENTARY: The DRI industry is still young and definitely thriving
· Guest Author: Michael Marley -No. 1 Heavy DRI: Scrap Rival or Enhancer?
· Increasing HBI Capacity for the Merchant Market
· voestalpine Texas LLC HBI Plant InauguratedDownload
3Q 2016 Direct From Midrex
In this Issue:
- THE VERSATILE OBM (ORE-BASED METALLIC): Part 2 - How to get what you paid for… A guide for maintaining the value of DRI.
- GLOBE TROTTERS WITH A STRONG CLIENT FOCUS: Midrex Sales & Marketing
2Q 2016 Direct From Midrex
- Q & A with Stephen Montague
- 2015 MIDREX Plant Report
- DRIpax™ - MIDREX® Plant Process Optimization System
- Algerian Qatari Steel to build 2.5 MTPY MIDREX® Plant Midrex and Paul Wurth Awarded Project
1Q 2016 Direct From Midrex
- In Memoriam: Donald R. Lyles
- DRI PRODUCTION USING COKE OVEN GAS: Test Results of Thermal Reactor System™ (TRS®)
- DRI - THE VERSATILE OBM (Ore-Based Metallic) part 1
- SIM selects Midrex and Primetals Technologies to build HBI plant in Quebec
4Q Direct From Midrex
- COMMENTARY: MIDREX R&D – Lab Coats and Steel-toed Boots
- Iron & Steel Production Considerations for Navigating the EU Low Carbon Roadmap
- Midrex Research & Development Technology Center
- NEWS & VIEWS: 2015 MIDREX® Operations Seminar in Barcelona, Spain
3Q 2015 Direct From Midrex
- LGOK II Surpasses 10 Million tons of HBI
- Parent, Partner & Pacesetter: Kobe Steel's role in the Direct Reduction Industry
- Producing DRI in Bahrain: United Steel Company (SULB)
2Q 2015 Direct From Midrex
- MIDREX® Combination Plant – Designed for Changing Market Conditions
- MIDREX® Direct Reduction Plants Operations Summary
- Midrex Global Solutions - Lending a Helping Hand
- JSW Steel successfully uses coke oven gas at JSW Dolvi
- Tosyali Holding to Build World’s Largest DRI Combo Plant
- 2014 World DRI Production tops 74.5 Million tons
1Q 2015 Direct From Midrex
- COMMENTARY:Synergy in Motion:Combining People, Process & Performance
- TECHNICAL EXCELLENCE WITH A HUMAN TOUCH: Engineering, the Midrex Way
- THE VALUE OF DRI: Using the Product for Optimum Steelmaking
- NEWS & VIEWS: ESISCO HOTLINK® Plant gets ready for Commercial Operation
Q4 2014 Direct From Midrex
- Construction of the new HBI plant - voestalpine Texas;
- Solutions for using DRI in the EAF;
- 2014 Operations Seminar.
Q3 2014 Direct From Midrex
- Innovations and Improvements - Hot Discharge Furnace;
- Shipping of DRI, "The Nu-Iron Experience";
- Sabah Gas Industries 30th Anniversary of HBI Production.
Q2 2014 Direct From Midrex
- Hadeed's Module E 2.0 Million Ton Milestone;
- Summary of 2013 MIDREX® Operations;
- Better Safety Culture (Part 2): The Benefits;
- 2013 World DRI Production over 75 Million Tons;
- SES & Midrex Agreement to Bring DRI to East Asia.
Q1 2014 Direct From Midrex
- The Spectrum of Carbon in an EAF;
- Carbon & Hot Charging DRI to EAFs;
- Better Safety Culture (Part 1): The Importance;
- SMS Group becomes a Construction Licensee.
Q4 2013 Direct From Midrex
- The Future of EAF Steelmaking & DRI;
- MXCOL® and TRS® Using Coal and Coke Oven Gas to Make DRI in India;
- Market Analysis of the metallics industry since 2009.
Q3 2013 Direct From Midrex
- The Partnership of Midrex and Kobe Steel;
- 30th Anniversary of Midrex and Kobe Steel;
- Midrex UK, Ltd.'s First Project - Financing LGOK III.
Q2 2013 Direct From Midrex
- First HBI Plant in North America announced;
- HBI growth surge in the industry;
- Summary of 2012 MIDREX® Operations;
- voestalpine signs contract with Siemens and Midrex;
- Midrex Pioneers honored;
- 74 Million Tons of DRI Produced in 2012;
- Tuwairqi Steel's MIDREX® Plant Starts Up
- Midrex and JSW Steel to convert DR plant to coke oven gas.
Q1 2013 Direct From Midrex
- A Tale of Two Technologies;
- Next Generation SIMPAX;
- Shale Gas and Its Impact on the World (Part 2);
- Launch of Midrex Global Logistics Announced;
- Midrex nominated for two Industry Awards.
Q4 2012 Direct From Midrex
- A whole new journey of discovery;
- Coke oven gas option for DRI - Midrex/Praxair Thermal Reactor System™;
- Shale Gas and Its Impact on the World (Part 1);
- Pakistan's First DR Plant to Begin Operations in 2013.
Q3 2012 Direct From Midrex
- The Value of Quality;
- The Evolution of Ironmaking & Development of DRI;
- The Correct Carbon Content for DRI Usage in the EAF;
- Metalloinvest chooses Siemens and Midrex for new HBI Plant;
- Todd Ames, new General Manager of MENA Plant Sales;
- A Pioneer Remembered.
Q2 2012 Direct From Midrex
- Better DRI solutions for India;
- Summary of 2011 MIDREX® Operations;
- Fresh look at the future of Direct Reduction;
- Midrex launches Indian Office;
- Praxair and Midrex sign agreement to commercialize alternative fuel technology.
Q1 2012 Direct From Midrex
- Change and Consistency;
- Reducing the world steel industry's carbon footprint through DR;
- The Economics of Longevity;
- Midrex announces new Marketing Director.
Q3 & Q4 2011 Direct From Midrex
- Plant Performance and Innovation;
- Amount of Iron Ore to Make One Ton of DRI;
- Four MIDREX® Modules surpass the 20 million ton production mark.
Q2 2011 Direct From Midrex
- 5 Questions with Mike Jasper;
- Summary of 2010 MIDREX® Operations;
- Jindal Shadeed dedicated to the Nation of the Sultanate of Oman;
- Jindal Steel Bolivia and Midrex to construct world's largest capacity DR module;
- Midrex Shanghai Office Launched;
- DRI production in 2010;
- The NEW IRON AGE blog.
Q1 2011 Direct From Midrex
- 5 Questions with Dan Sanford;
- Super Sizing the MIDREX® Process;
- About MXCOL® and Coal Gasification;
- A Breakthrough in Coal-Based Direct Reduction;
- Jindal Shadeed Begins Production;
- OEMK Mod 1 Revamped.
Q2 2010 Direct From Midrex
- 5 Questions with Stephen Montague;
- CO2 Savings by Use of HBI: Blast Furnace Economics;
- Environmental Benefits of Natural Gas Direct Reduction;
- MXCOL® Highlights Better Way to Make DRI Using Coal.
Q1 2010 Direct From Midrex
- 5 Questions with James McClaskey;
- Summary of 2009 MIDREX® Operations;
- CO2 Savings by Use of HBI: The Loci?
- SULB Orders 1.5 million ton/year MIDREX® Plant for Bahrain;
- In Memoriam.
Q3 2009 Direct From Midrex
- It's Not Easy Being Green;
- Production of Steels Applying 100% DRI for Nitrogen Removal;
- Savings in CO2 Generation by Use of HBI;
- JSPL Announces New Coal Gasification MIDREX® Plant;
- Midrex Opens UK Office.
Q2 2009 Direct From Midrex
- Ride the Cycles or Build in the Valley;
- Operational Aspects of LION's MIDREX® HDRI/HBI Plant;
- Hot Charging DRI at Hadeed;
- Midrex Announces New Global Solutions Project Manager.
Q1 2009 Direct From Midrex
- Flexibility: Nothing Is Permanent but Change;
- Summary of 2008 MIDREX® Operations;
- Hot Transport Conveying DR---Energy & Productivity Benefits;
- DRI Production Increases Slightly in 2008.
Special Report December 2008
- Innovation via Continuous Technology Development;
- ITmk3® and FASTMELT® Applications for Southeast Asia;
- Development of EAF Dust Recycling & Melting Technology.
Q4 2008 Direct From Midrex
- CEO Jim McClaskey Celebrates Silver Anniversary;
- MIDREX® Technology for the Middle East and North Africa (MENA);
- Steel Industry Market Analysis;
- 70+ Successful Shaft and Rotary Heath Furnaces Around the World.
Q3 2008 Direct From Midrex
- Technical Services Group: Above and Beyond;
- Improvements in Labratory Testing of DR Oxides;
- Hot Briquetted Iron: Steel's Most Versatile Metallic;
- Midrex Commemorates 25th Anniversary of Acquisition by Kobe Steel, Ltd.
Q2 2008 Direct From Midrex
- Challenges and Trends of Steel Procurement;
- Qatar Steel Company: 30 Years of Success;
- World's Largest HBI Module Constructed in Gubkin, Russia;
- First Briquette Produced by LGOK 2 Presented to Midrex CEO, Jim McClaskey.
Q1 2008 Direct From Midrex
- MIDREX® Direct Reduction Plants: 2007 Operations Summary;
- Ocean Shipping of Hot Briquetted Iron;
- Hot Briquetted Iron: Steel's Most Versatile Metallic;
- Nu-Iron Relocates Midrex AIR Plant to Point Lisas, Trinidad.
SP December 2007 Direct From Midrex
- A Layman's Guide to Rotary Hearth Furnance Technologies;
- FASTMET®, FASTMELT®, and ITmk3®: New Coal-based Ironmaking Processes;
- ITmk3® Plant to be Constructed in Hoyt Lakes, Minnesota;
- Kobe Steel Collaborates with Cleveland-Cliffs to Promote ITmk3® Ironmaking Technology.
Q4 2007 Direct From Midrex
- Training and Commissioning: A Critical Factor;
- The Benefits of Integrated Steel Production in the Middle East;
- The Shortest Route from Iron Ore to Hot Strip;
- The Iron Carbide Content of DRI and its Effect on Reactivity.
Q3 2007 Direct From Midrex
- DRI Solutions for Russian Steelmakers;
- Cumulative Production of MIDREX® Iron Surpasses 500 Million Tons;
- Riding the Supercycle: Pricing Scrap Steel;
- MIDREX® Plant at ArcelorMittal Steel Lazaro Cardenas Celebrates 10 Years.
Q2 2007 Direct From Midrex
- Green Steelmaking with the MIDREX® DR Process;
- The Economics of Hot DRI Charging;
- World's Largest Operating Dr Module, COMSIGUA, Produces 10 Million Tons of HBI;
- Relocated MIDREX® Plant in Saudi Arabia Begins Production in May.
Q1 2007 Direct From Midrex
- Midrex Technology Development: Firm Foundation and Continuous Improvement;
- MIDREX® Direct Reduction Plants: 2006 Operations Summary;
- Midrex Global Solutions: Providing Aftermarket Strategies;
- Todd Ames Named Plant Sales Manager.
SP July 2006 Direct From Midrex
- Overview of MIDREX® Direct Reduction Projects;
- Six New Hot Discharge Modules Expected for 2007 and 2008;
- New HBI Plant in Gubkin, Russia Expected to be Largest in the World;
- First Mini-Integrated Steel Plant Comes to Shoar, Oman.
Q4 2006 Direct From Midrex
- Show Me the Numbers: An Analysis of the Growing Steel Market;
- Hot Briquetted Iron: Still Growing After 30 Years;
- Exporting DRI: Libyan Iron and Steel Company;
- Midrex Attends the 47th Latin American Steel Congress in Santiago, Chile.
Q3 2006 Direct From Midrex
- Waste Not, Want Not: Reducing the Environmental Impact of Steelmaking;
- Direct Reduction's Role in the World Steel Industry;
- New Ironmaking Capacity Outside of China;
- Stephen Montague Promoted to Commercial Vice President and Henry Gaines Named Plant Sales Manager.
Q1 2006 Direct From Midrex
- The New Iron Age: DR's Role in Global Steelmaking;
- MIDREX® Direct Reduction Plants: 2005 Operations Summary;
- Enhanced Mineral Processing at the Midrex R&D Center;
- Midrex Signs ITmk3® Construction License Agreement with Kobe Steel.
Q2 2005 Direct From Midrex
- China: The World's #1 Producer of Steel;
- Optimization of the Hot DRI: KWIKSTEEL®;
- Kobe Steel Pursues DRI Venture in China.
Q1 2005 Direct From Midrex
- MIDREX® Direct Reduction Plants: 2004 Operations Summary;
- Midrex Contracted by Lion Group to Construct HDRI Plant in Malaysia;
- QASCO Signs Contract for MIDREX®HBI/DRI Combination Plant;
- SHADEED to Build First Commercial HOTLINK® Plant.
Q4 2004 Direct From Midrex
- Midrex Begins 4th Decade as Iron & Steel Industry Leader;
- Mission Possible: Rush to Repair COMSIGUA Cooling Tower;
- A History of Midrex Technologies: Part 4;
- Midrex and Hadeed Begin Construction of Largest DRI Plant.
Q3 2004 Direct From Midrex
- What is the Value of Iron?;
- Tendencies in In-Situ Reforming;
- A History of Midrex Technologies: Part 3;
- Midrex Technologies Celebrates 30 Years of Innovation.
Q2 2004 Direct From Midrex
- Usage of Oxygen Injection in QASCO;
- A History of Midrex Technologies: Part 2;
- A Fond Farewell to Winston Tennies, CEO and Co-Founder of MIDREX® DR Process;
- James D. McClaskey Announced as New CEO at Midrex Technologies.
Q1 2004 Direct From Midrex
- A Storied History & Exciting Future: Midrex Celebrates 30 Years;
- A History of Midrex Technologies: Part 1;
- MIDREX® Direct Reduction Plants: 2003 Operations Summary;
- OEMK Contracts Midrex for Plant Expansion.
Q4 2003 Direct From Midrex
- New Technologies Nearing Commercial Reality: ITmk3®, HOTLINK®, FASTEEL™, & FASTOx™;
- MIDREX HOTLINK®-based Mini-Mill to be Built by HAMIL STEEL.
- Midrex Awarded Patent for KWIKSTEEL™;
- COMSIGUA Commemorates 5 Year Performance Milestone.
Q3 2003 Direct From Midrex
- FASTEEL™: Hot Metal of FASTMELT® and Continuous Scrap Feeding of CONSTEEL®;
- The Reality of Installed Metallics Capacity;
- Midrex and Kobe Steel Celebrate 20 Years of Teamwork;
- MOU for New DR Plant Announced for United Arab Emirates.
Q2 2003 Direct From Midrex
- New Iron Making Technology of the Future: The Mesabi Nugget Project;
- Mesabi ITmk3® Plant Successfully Begins Producing Nuggets;
- MIDREX Direct Reduction Process at Qatar Steel Company;
- 25 Year Price Predictions for the American Steel Market.
Q1 2003 Direct From Midrex
- Ispat Industries Limited: Operations with High Lump Ore Percentages;
- Market Forces in the DR Industry: Growth and Decline Drivers;
- MIDREX® Direct Reduction Plants: 2002 Operations Summary;
- A Growing DR Market in India: Developing Possibilities.
Q4 2002 Direct From Midrex
- Using OXY+® to Make Reducing Gas in the MIDREX® DR Process;
- Market Forces in the DR Industry: What Drives the Market?;
- Industrial Recovery Systems: Environmental Remediation;
- Midrex Holds Annual Operations Seminar in Bahrain.
Q3 2002 Direct From Midrex
- Educated Use of HBI/DRI: EAF Efficiency and Yield;
- FASTEEL™: Examining Potential for the Steel Industry;
- Kobe Steel Signs Agreement to Construct FASTMELT® with Production Capacity of 500,000 tpy;
- Department of Energy Funds ITmk3® Project.
Q2 2002 Direct From Midrex
- Not All RHFs Are Created Equal: How a RHF Can Meet Client Needs;
- Successful Iron Nugget Production at the ITmk3® Pilot Plant;
- Techint, Midrex and Kobe Steel Form Worldwide Alliance on New Iron and Steelmaking Technology;
- Midrex Certified to New ISO 9001-2000 Standard.
Q1 2002 Direct From Midrex
- Developing Process Automation for the MIDREX® Process;
- MIDREX® Direct Reduction Plants: 2001 Operations Summary;
- Fond Farewell to Midrex Pioneers Dave Meissner and Jim Helle;
- ISS Distinguished Service Award Honors Sara Hornby Anderson.
Q4 2001 Direct From Midrex
- Upkeep in a Down Market: Plant Scheduled Maintenance;
- The Midrex OXY+™ System: Souring Additional H2 and CO;
- Direct Reduction/EAF Steeling Making: Reducing Environmental Impact;
- Kobe Steel Signs MOU with Mesabi Nugget to Utilizie the ITmk3® Process.
Q3 2001 Direct From Midrex
- Green Steelmaking with the MIDREX® and FASTMET® Processes;
- Advanced Gas Analysis Using Mass Spectrometers;
- A Market Analysis of Scrap, DRI, and Pig Iron: Industry Trends and Predictions;
- Midrex Solutions™ Offers Steel Plant Training and Seminars.
Q2 2001 Direct From Midrex
- Ispat Mexicana (IMEXSA) Sets a New Standard for Production and Quality;
- Benefits of Hot DRI Charge to the Electric Arc Furnace;
- FASTMET® Plant in Japan Begins Commercial Operation;
- Midrex Expands Beyond Iron and Steel: Targets New Partners.
Q1 2001 Direct From Midrex
- Control Innovations in Midrex Plants;
- MIDREX® Direct Reduction Plants: 2000 Operations Summary;
- ITmk3 - Premium Ironmaking Process for the New Millennium;
- Midrex Announces 6 Employee Promotions.
Q4 2000 Direct From Midrex
- Supporting our Plants: Midrex Technical Services;
- AC vs. DC Melting of Direct Reduced Iron;
- Direct Reduced Iron Market Review;
- FASTMET® Waste Recycling at Kakogawa and Hirohata.
Q3 2000 Direct From Midrex
- Supporting our Plants: Midrex Technical Services;
- Carbon in Direct Reduced Iron: Friend or Foe?;
- Optimizing Metallization and Carbon at IMEXSA;
- Third MIDREX® Direct Reduction Plant in Egypt in Full Productuion.
Q2 2000 Direct From Midrex
- Ironmaking Technology for the New Millennuim;
- Plant Operation and Quality at the COMSIGUA HBI Plant;
- First Commerical FASTMET® Plant is Commissioned.
Q1 2000 Direct From Midrex
- Increasing Product Carbon;
- 10th Anniversary at Professional Services International, Inc.;
- MIDREX™ Direct Reduction Plants: 1999 Operations Summary;
- Midrex and Professional Services International, Inc. Move to New Office in Charlotte.
Q4 1999 Direct From Midrex
- Hot Charging DRI for Lower Cost and High Productivity with HOTLINK™;
- Fines to Slabs in Western Australia: Integrated Mini-Mills.;
- Two MIDREX Plants Hit 1 Million Ton Milestone;
- Midrex Celebrates 25 Innovative Years of Business.
Q3 1999 Direct From Midrex
- The Passing of a Pioneer: Charles W. “Sanz” Sanzenbacher;
- Riding the Roller Coaster: Global Steel and Scrap Cycles;
- A Powerful Combination: Gasification and the MIDREX® DR Process;
- Commissioning Begins at MIDREX MEGAMOD™ in Port Lisas, Trinidad.
Q2 1999 Direct From Midrex
- Utilization of Sponge Iron in Electric Arc Furnaces;
- Principles and Use of Iron in a MIDREX™ Direct Reduction Plant: Part 2;
- Midrex Honored as the Gold Prize Winner of the Tamiya Prize;
- Koshi Mizukoshi Appointed President, CEO, and Representative Director of Kobe Steel, Ltd.
Q1 1999 Direct From Midrex
- The Long-Term View: Looking Past a Market Downturn;
- Use of DRI in Tuscaloosa Steel's Twin Shell DC Furnace;
- Principles and Use of Iron in a MIDREX™ Direct Reduction Plant: Part 1;
- MIDREX™ Direct Reduction Plants: 1998 Operations Summary.
Q4 1998 Direct From Midrex
- FASTMET®: New Ironmaking Opportunity for Minimills and Integrated Steel Mills;
- Treating Steel Mill Waste with FASTMET®;
- Waste-to-Hot Metal Project in Development by Midrex and National Recovery Systems;
- Midrex and PSI Sponsor a Habitat for Humanity Home Build in Charlotte, NC.
Q3 1998 Direct From Midrex
- Hot Tansport: Midrex Style;
- 1998 DRI Market Report: Pumping Iron;
- COMSIGUA Begins Production in Matanzas, Venezuela;
- Commercialization of the FASTMET® Process Continues to Thrive.
Q2 1998 Direct From Midrex
- Increasing Productivity and Profitability with the MIDREX® Process;
- An American Renaissance: Direct Reduced Iron;
- Catalyst: The Factors that Affect Performance;
- QASCO to Construct 2nd MIDREX™ HBI Plant in the Middle East.